글 수 779
등록일

본문

Acts 19:21-22

Today’s scripture verse Acts 19:21 says, “Now after these things were finished, Paul purposed in the spirit to go to Jerusalem….”  It says that Paul purposed in the Holy Spirit.  It clearly states that he purposed in the Holy Spirit in the Greek language.  There is an old saying, “A good beginning is half the battle” or “Well begun is half done”; it means that a good start assures success.  The moment of the beginning and beginning words are the most important in any human action.  Hence, we must begin with the Holy Spirit.  It is God’s command for us to receive the Holy Spirit (Eph. 5:18).  Now, we need to purpose (conduct) in the Spirit.  The word “purpose” has the following meanings according to the Korean dictionary: “To continue operating (administering) a business or company,” “System or content of management.” 
The believers who have received the promise to inherit the Kingdom of Heaven need to purpose in the Spirit.  All is vain if he/she does not purpose/conduct in the Holy Spirit from the moment he/she starts believing in Jesus until he goes to heaven.  Without the Holy Spirit, there is only human zeal.  God does not acknowledge that (Matt. 7:21ff.).  The writer of today’s scripture verse Apostle Paul is a person who purposed in the Holy Spirit.  Let us learn to purpose in the Holy Spirit through the example of his life.

1. Apostle Paul purposed to receive even greater affliction in the Holy Spirit for Christ.

Though Apostle Paul succeeded through the Gospel because God acknowledged him, he was not arrogant.  He did not complacently sleep by saying, ‘I’m going to rest since I finished my work.’ Apostle Paul was always hastening in his heart as he was full of the Holy Spirit.  Having received spirit of Jesus who said, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working,” Apostle Paul was busy.  Further, Apostle Paul could not eat as he was working for the Gospel.  He did not have enough clothes, was cold and hungry, poor and starved.  Five times he received thirty-nine lashes; three times he was beaten with rods; he was threatened by his people; and went through the dangers in the wilderness and on the sea; and he was even shipwrecked on the sea for a week.  How he suffered because of the Gospel!  However, he did not once complain, gripe , or grumble.  I pray in the name of the Lord that you may truly purpose in Christ throughout this year.

2. Apostle Paul purposed in the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem

At the time Apostle Paul purposed to go to Jerusalem, there were severe diseases, famine, persecution and sufferings awaiting him.  James had also died here.  Nevertheless, Apostle Paul desired to go to Jerusalem.  It was in order that he may comfort the believers who were being afflicted (Acts 21:10-12).  Tribulation, persecution, and death were waiting for Apostle Paul.  Furthermore, there were forty Jews who formed a conspiracy and bound themselves under an oath to kill Paul (Acts 23:12-13).  These, however, did not stop Apostle Paul from going to Jerusalem.  He walked into Jerusalem saying, “But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.
Beloved believers, don’t let any kind of wind of suffering in the church shake you.  Believe that it is the way to support the will of God.  I believe that you will find consolation in great hope if the Holy Spirit purposes with you.  We know that there will be lots of hardships and difficulties in our lives and our families throughout this year.  However, what can we not do and what would we not believe when we pray in the Holy Spirit, purpose in the Holy Spirit, try to fathom the will of God, and remember Him who has forgiven our sins by leaving the throne of God and becoming a man, coming down to this world, starving and suffering, being persecuted with all kinds of abuse, breaking His holy body, and pouring out the precious blood on the Hill of Calvary?  I pray and urge you that you may go and help others in trouble this year, praying with the sick and comforting their families.  We need to live for the peace and harmony of the church.

3. Apostle Paul purposed in the Holy Spirit to go to Rome

In Rom. 1:10 he said, “Always in my prayers making request, if perhaps now at last by the will of God I may succeed in coming to you.”  Rome was the center of the world during that time.  The governing powers were concentrated there and soldiers gathered in Rome to seek a successful career. Merchants flocked to Rome to gain wealth.  There were many slaves in Rome also because there was a way for them to be liberated from slavery. 
To Apostle Paul, however, Rome was not a center of power, wealth, and honor, but ‘The last ground for the globalization of the Gospel’.  It was the ground/territory he needed to secure as in a battle; Paul gave his life to attain Rome.  Thus, Apostle Paul’s motto and prayer was “There will be a great work and history of globalizing the Gospel when I conquer Rome with the Gospel!”  Apostle Paul’s prayer of vision came true.  Rome became the center of the world’s development and the Gospel started spreading to the entire world through that path.  In that aspect, Rome was the “remotest part of the earth” to Apostle Paul.  Rome was the remotest part of the earth for Apostle Paul!  That’s why he died for Rome.  Beloved believers, for which purpose are you giving your life?  The Lord commanded us, “You shall be My witnesses…even to the remotest part of the earth!”  If there is work that we need to purpose with our life, it is to proceed toward the remotest part of the earth.  I pray in the name of the Lord that there may be a wonderful work of the Gospel of the cross blossoming and spreading the scent of the Lord to the ends of the earth.

Conclusion
I pray that you may begin with the Word that God gave us today.  With what should we begin?  We need to begin with “purpose in the Holy Spirit.”  Purposing in the Holy Spirit is what pleases and satisfies God.  Please believe that it is what God likes the most. 

List of Articles
번호 제목 날짜sort 조회 수
99 예수 그리스도의 부활은 기독교 복음의 진수 2010-04-28 3301
98 십자가와 부활은 영원한 산 소망의 승리 2010-04-12 3536
97 메시아적 왕으로서 영광의 입성 (평화의 왕, 겸손의 왕의 입성) 2010-04-03 3697
96 내 한 몸은 생각지 않고 오로지 조국 독립을 도모하여 2010-04-03 2708
95 복음에 빚진 자 2010-03-22 5665
94 불길처럼 타올랐던 애국애족의 민족혼, 3·1정신을 기억하자 2010-03-07 3191
93 구속사적 경륜 속에 메시아가 오기까지 성별된 족보 2010-03-03 3867
92 예수 그리스도의 족보에서 빠진 왕들 - 왜 빠졌을까? 2010-02-21 5192
91 날마다 우리의 삶이 독수리 같이 올라가는 삶 2010-02-16 14189
90 산 소망 속에 날마다 생동하며 부흥하는 교회 2010-02-16 3170
89 벳새다 빈 들에서 때는 저물어 가도 주님만 계신다면 2010-01-31 4010
88 애석하게도 오늘밤을 놓친 어리석은 부자 2010-01-31 3572
87 소망을 굳게 붙잡고 저 높은 곳을 향하여 전진하자 2010-01-18 3674
86 흑암과 사망의 그늘진 백성에게 친히 보이신 임마누엘의 징조 2009-12-28 4372
85 열왕들의 역사 속에 감추인 구속사적 경륜 2009-12-24 3855
84 하나님의 구속 경륜 속에서 필역된 솔로몬 성전 2009-12-18 5029
83 유구한 역사 속에서 구속 언약의 한 음성 "옛날을 기억하라, 역대 연대를 생각하라" 2009-12-18 4883
82 순례자의 걸음을 영원한 고향에 굳게 세우소서 2009-12-14 3445
81 예수 그리스도의 족보 속에 감추인 하나님의 경륜 2009-12-14 5753
80 외양간의 밤을 종결시키는 새 역사 2009-12-14 3368
PYUNGKANG NEWS
교회일정표
2024 . 3  
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
찬양 HYMNS OF PRAISE
영상 PYUNGKANG MOVIE

[Abraham’s Message]

[구속사소식]

152-896 서울시 구로구 오류로 8라길 50 평강제일교회 TEL.02.2625.1441
Copyright ⓒ2001-2015 pyungkang.com. All rights reserved. Pyungkang Cheil Presbyterian Church